Sunday, February 5, 2012

Things I Miss About Living in Germany

  • Festivals: Every time I see a post about which bands are playing at Summer Breeze, it makes me want to cry. The music festivals in Germany are about 3 days long. (Some across Europe are even longer, like Metal Camp, which is 7 days long) You bring your camping gear, a lot of beer, canned food and a good mood. Out of all of my "vacations" (the vacations I have taken in my life have pretty much always included visiting family), Summer Breeze Festival has belonged to my favorites. I miss the way everyone was there for the same reason: the music and good times. It didn't matter if you knew anyone or not. You rarely ever saw fighting and if there was any at all, it would be forgotten a few hours later at the latest. xD Here in the States I don't know of any festivals that last longer than a day or that don't require getting a plane ticket. = /

  • The S-Bahn: I have no idea why I miss those trains. The tickets are overpriced, if you are riding in town you are lucky to find a seat on the train and Oktoberfest or any other "Fest" is (or at least used to be) a nightmare on those trains. But they were so practical when you wanted to go out for a drink or when you were tired. You didn't have to worry about parking, car trouble, getting gas (even though that is replaced with the need to buy tickets) and it didn't require much effort on your part. I miss the sound of the trains starting (as odd as that sounds!!) and the driver's announcements over the intercom. And I also miss that stupid dark and light blue boxy pattern on the seats, which weren't too terribly comfortable. 

  • Small Shops and Strip Malls: There is just something much more welcoming about a small shop with brick walls in a strip mall as opposed to a huge building like Walmart or the mall. I liked being able to walk around Marienplatz on the cobblestone with the fountains and the chimes and the people sitting out drinking coffee. Then going into little shops along the "street" that was off limits to vehicles. 

  • My SCOOTER!: I live in a smaller town, so you have more cars than pedestrians. And you most certainly don't have scooters around. I haven't seen a single one. My scooter was my transportation. He was my buddy. My friend. I even named him Gismo. =( (I can't find a picture at the moment, but I will update as soon as I find one!)

  • Safety: I don't know what it is, but ever since I moved back to the States, I've felt the need to keep my mouth shut, my doors locked and to stay inside late in the evening. In Germany, I would bike around at midnight or even walk and not have to worry about any creepers jumping out of the bushes. Plus, if someone was pushing my buttons, I could give them a piece of my mind without having the fear of possibly getting stabbed in the chest or shot.

  • Heathcare. Honestly, I think just that word says it all, if you are at all familiar with European Heathcare. 

  • Skiing!: It was SO much cheaper to go skiing in Germany than it is here! It was 28 Euros for a day pass at Ski-Paradies Sudelfeld, which is about 36 bucks. Not bad! (This includes the lift btw...not sure how it works here in the states, but your day pass is basically a lift ticket in Germany)

  • The Clothing: I can't find anything similar to  http://www.emp.de/ or  http://www.queen-of-darkness.com/ except hot topic...but it's really not the same. If anyone knows of anything at ALL, PLEASE let me know!! I looked a bit on Amazon but I didn't find much.

  • The Food!: Man I would give anything for a bowl of Knödelsuppe and then a big plate of Kasspatzen with a side of Gurkensalat, Kartoffelsalat and Wurstsalat. That is way too much food but I'd eat it all!!

  • Beer: If anyone in Germany would be willing to send me a few bottles of Augustiner Hell and a few bottles of Tegernseer Hell, I would love you forever. 
  • Nougat Bits: How can they NOT have this in the States?!
  • Pfanner Green Tea: I haven't been able to find anything like this. I LOVE IT.



No comments:

Post a Comment